Thursday, February 6, 2014

Day 7 - Work

I’m not sure how old I was, but I was old enough to remember. My aunt had a computer that when every time you turned it on, a little sound bite would play. Kind of like a “You’ve got mail!” welcome, only it was mysqueaky little voice coming through the speakers.
“When I grow up, I want to be the Little Muhmaid!”
I remember hearing that over and over again and getting the biggest kick out of it!
As time went on, I realized being a real mermaid wasn't plausible. Instead I decided that I wanted to be a vet, then a teacher, then a zoologist, a teacher again, a chef, a nurse, and an artist. (can you tell I couldn’t make up my mind?!) But most of all, I wanted to be a mom. I always knew that. No matter what course of education I took or what job I had, I hoped that children would be a part of my life.
Well, here I am. Being a mom. And I feel so very blessed. Though, it’s not all hunky-dory all the time. I wish I was always walking on the sunny side of the street, skipping and holding hands with my kids. But the truth is it takes a lot of hard work. A lot of energy, consistency, time, love, talking, teaching, cleaning… and the list goes oooooon. My feet hurt by the end of the day.
I have found myself devaluing my job as a mom and I have sometimes felt that what I do is never enough. Then I remind myself that “No other success can compensate for failure in the home” (David O. McKay) and I keep on working.
Now if I could just get Lucy to clean up the crayons when she's done with them, I'd say that's a success :)

2 comments:

  1. It's so easy to fall into that rut where we feel that we're not doing much, or enough, or that we should look or feel a certain way all the time. BUT, you couldn't have said a better quote about how success in our homes with our families is the greatest achievement that we could ever hope for! You are doing a beautiful job, Shauna, and I know it by the smiles on your children's faces :) Keep doing what you're doing, cause I can tell it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I love this! I love imagining you skipping down the street holding hands with your kids - that is a sweet image :) And I gave up on the crayons a long time ago! ;)

    ReplyDelete