Thursday, February 16, 2012

It's True What They Say...

The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach.


Valentine's Day started off with delicious bacon and German pancakes topped with strawberries and powdered sugar. I included some heart-shaped sugar cookies in Alex's lunch and sent him on his way. I was so excited for dinner that night. I had planned a salmon dinner with rice and asparagus accompanied by some sparkling cider. I envisioned a candle lit dinner with heart streamers draped across the window and hearts hanging from the fixture above. Add a little mood music and the romantic dinner for two was going to be perfect!

Here's how the day really went: Todd was up at midnight and every half hour there after with a fever and a terribly stuffed nose. Which, when translated, means that sleep was non-existent for both me and Todders. I woke up for good at 6, made Alex's lunch and started on breakfast. The morning was wonderful together as we chatted and awaited to eat the something-other-than-toast breakfast. But of course when we both sat down to eat... Lucy wakes up crying, Todd starts crying, and my breakfast had to wait. Alex hurried and gobbled up his food and took off.
I looked around... two fussy kids with piles of dishes to do, floors to vacuum and clean, laundry piles needing attention, and the list goes on and on. Tack on no sleep and this was a recipe for a fantastic day!
So, pretty much I was a walking zombie all day with a sick little boy attached to my hip. I got nothing done. I made sure, however, to get out of the house and take Lucy to play group with Valentine games and crafts. She loved it! (Phew! I did something right!)

I was so sad that when Alex came home, the dish pile was only bigger, the floor only had more toys on it, and there was no sign of dinner anywhere. I did manage to heart attack the stair railing with some fun hearts and sayings on them and I put together a gift basket for him (which accidentally included a rated R movie... whoops!)

We exchanged gifts then put the kids to bed. Finally we could just be together! Alex ran out and got some bbq food for our romantic dinner for two and it ended up being just disgusting. I didn't know that ribs could be beef jerky at the same time. hahaha.... oh goodness.

But when all was said and done, we had each other. We stayed up until 1am chatting, laughing and just being together. That's all that mattered in the end and the Valentines Day that could have been turned into the Valentines Day I was hoping for. One with the person whom I am crazy and madly in love with.

I am the luckiest girl in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a stressful day! It always turns out like that when you want it to be special. But you made the best of it!
    And the last post of Todd is SO cute! I love dressing up babies :)

    ReplyDelete