Monday, August 12, 2013

What's a trip to Sea World without a visit to the ER?!

I'm sure you can guess who made the special visit. I'll give you some hints: He/she loves to climb. He/she has been to the ER multiple times. He/she is particularly fond of shark teeth.
That's right... Mr. Todd.
It wasn't quite lunch time yet and we had decided to go through the shark exhibit before grabbing a bite to eat. We made it through the underwater aquarium and the kids were just enamored with the sharks swimming above and all around us. At the exit, there was a large set of shark teeth on display behind a double-barred railing to prevent people from going up and touching it. Lucy had her face pressed against the aquarium while Todd went to go look at the teeth. We had both kids in our view as we stood with Annie and the stroller. All it took was one second for me to take my eyes off of Todd and I hear screaming. I ran over to him as fast as I could, knowing he had fallen. The gentleman next to me told me all that had happened and that he smacked his face on the ledge where the shark teeth rested. I picked up Todd, getting a first glance at his bloody mouth. I shoved him into Alex's arms to take him to the bathroom to clean him up a little bit and to try and get a better look. For about ten minutes, he was scream-spewing blood all over himself, me, and Alex. After visiting the First Aid office in the park, we decided we needed to go to the ER because it looked like his tooth had broken all the way through his bottom lip.
He was so exhausted from crying so much (and probably from the loss of all that blood) that he slept the entire time in the ER, even with the doctors poking all around in his mouth. I was worried about a concussion, but that was not the case. No stitches needed either (shocking!).
Just a swollen lip and bloody gums for the next week.
That boy, I'm telling you! Three ER visits and he's only two!
We went back and finished off the day with the Shamu show, penguins, dolphins, and frozen lemonade.

I don't even want to go into Lucy climbing around in the playground, high above the walkway with people below, and having an accident. There were many innocent passersby who had an unexpected rain shower. Oh, the embarrassment!! The pit in my stomach still resides.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh poor guy! You guys are champs for going right on back to the park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! You are definitely mom of the year! I am SO scared to take my ONE child to the grocery store; look at you taking all THREE! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the joys of boys! Mouth injuries always amaze me. It looks so serious and there's so much blood! And I always think the ER is crazy when they say, "Nope, that gaping hole in your child will heal just fine on its own." I'd honestly feel better even if they put super glue on it.

    Sorry for Todd! Hope he's feeling better. If nothing else he'll have a nice scar to match Ryan and Mason. :)

    P.S. He has both my boys combined beat for ER trips. Bless your sweet heart Shauna, and bless that boy to not give you too many heart attacks in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad he's ok! And don't feel too bad about Lucy...Anne did that same thing earlier this summer and the park had those grated floors so it all came right through. Not one of our greatest moments :)

    Glad you got to go back and enjoy the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete