Thursday, September 13, 2012

Through Lucy's Eyes

Lucy is at an age where everything is beautiful to her. Even if she has read the same book hundreds of times, she'll turn the page then... "Gaaasp! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!" Or she'll see the same old dress that I've worn over and over, and she'll come up to me, with both hands on her cheeks, and say "gaaasp! You look beautiful, Mama!"
Her sweet, innocent eyes, are quickly soaking in every little beautiful, joyful moment of this brief childhood. She definitely reminds me to see the beauty in the ordinary things around me.

On our way home from Phoenix this week, it was about 10:30pm and Lucy was wriggling in the back seat, trying with all of her might to not go to the bathroom right then and there. We quickly found the next exit with any sort of bathroom, all the while saying "Alllmosst therrrrre, Lucy! Alllmosst therrre!" The first place we pulled up to was a Shell gas station. As we pulled up, I noticed there were no bathrooms inside. I turned to Alex and told him he's taking Lucy this time cause there was no way I was going to go around to the side of the gas station to use their restroom this late at night with who knows what/who hiding in the dark!
Alex grabs Lucy, grabs the restroom key tied to the giant mixing spoon, and disappears around the corner. The restroom door wasn't marked properly and was among two other doors. After trying the key on a couple of doors, Alex found the right one. He and Lucy then walk into the dark, not so smelly good restroom.
Alex turns on the light and then, "GAAAASP!!" He thought that Lucy had seen some kind of rat or lizard or something, but then Lucy proceeds... "IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!" Then she twirls in a big circle with her arms outstretched, soaking in her new environment.

I'm pretty sure her imagination had taken over at that point. :)

6 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that is hilarious! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just told this story to cameron and he laughed out loud :)

      Delete
  2. Love her and her imagination! My favorite thing about Ryan right now are his sense of manners. "Mommy, you say 'Thank you, Ryan". "Thank you Ryan." "You are SO welcome mommy". Or if I bonk my head on the car he says, "I'm so sorry mommy." These manners and Lucy's fascination with the world around her remind me of the Savoir's invitation to "Behold our little ones". We just have to take the time to slow down and look... hence why I love the picture above with you in the reflection of Lucy's glasses, taking the time to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great story! I'm sure I'll think of it next time we have to use a gas station restroom. Lucy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh! That is hilarious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha ha! That is the BEST! What a sweet girl! And I LOVE that photo of her with your reflection in her glasses! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete