Friday, July 12, 2013

The Beautiful Balboa Park

I owe much of my love of San Diego to the Gundersons. Growing up right next door to them has left so many fond memories in my mind, from playing Stick Ball in the street to making paper cup/string telephones and stringing them across the property line to our windows. 
Best of friends...all of us!
I looked forward to the spontaneous days when we'd get a knock on the door with an invitation to a low key day at Balboa Park. A place where the foliage was overgrown and lush (a much different world than that of the desert beauty where we now live!). There were several playgrounds to climb on and walking trails to tread. But the most anticipated destinations of Balboa Park were 1) the fountain, 2) the train, and 3) the carousel. With just a few measly tickets, we had the time of our lives. Throwing our hands in the air and screaming as we went through the ever slow train tunnel, splashing each other as we traipsed through the huge fountain, and competing to see who would get the brass ring first. Laughter filling any void of silence. So much of my childhood seems to be forever encapsulated within the brisk air of San Diego, shared with the Gundersons. 

We snuck away from our families, just the five of us, and headed down to Balboa Park. Nostalgia was hovering thick. Not only because of my childhood memories, but because we hadn't been back since taking pictures there on our wedding day five years ago. How fun it was to introduce my children to this place! If only I could have fast-forwarded time when I was ten years old to now, seeing myself fifteen years in the future, now walking the same paths, playing on the same playground, riding the same train - with my children. Who could have guessed such simple outings would have made such an impact! Great memories with many still being made!

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures!!! It was so great to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun you guys have been having lately! I love all the great family photos you are getting, too! I need to remember to have Dan take some pictures of me from time to time - so that my existence in our family can be documented ;)

    Btw, your bangs are just getting cuter and cuter! I think you look really good with them.

    ReplyDelete