Monday, October 21, 2013

The Hungry Caterpillar

 Lucy has a hot pink bath towel with floppy green antennas on the hood and butterfly wings embroidered on the back. After every bath, I wrap her up tight so her wings encircle her little body. I gather up her fresh clean clothes and sit on the floor, waiting to help her dress. Every time, almost without fail, Lucy says "Mom, look! I'm a caterpillar!" then she spins in a circle about three times then opens up her wings to reveal her transformation. "Oh butterfly Lucy! You're the most beautiful butterfly ever!" She bats her eyelashes at me and we continue on with the day.

The imagination, the innocence, the fascination with all things big and little... I am once again a part of childhood as a twenty-six year old. And it is a magical thing. When I would have once quickly overlooked the little caterpillar inching along in our backyard, I now stop and watch. I study the creature and discover the beauty. I wonder about his simple existence here on earth. I wonder what beautiful wings this quiet little guy will sprout. I wonder how many faces he'll bring a smile to as he flutters on by. And I get to wonder and watch along side my children. We squeal together as his little legs tickle our hands. We hunt for a new home for our small friend. We think of names for him. We simple enjoy this little moment together.

Thank you Mr. Caterpillar for already creating three smiles and a lasting memory.

1 comment:

  1. That's so neat! I can just imagine Lucy with her butterfly towel :)

    ReplyDelete