Wednesday, October 2, 2013

{mid-week musings} Don't You Know What FUN Is?

“Nooo
            o
               o
                 ho
                   ho
                     ho”
My knees nearly buckled to the floor. I was ready to cry. And laugh. And scream. All at once.
“No! No! No!” were the only words that seemed available at the moment.
“But Mooooom!”Lucy says, “We’re having fun! Don’t you know what fun is?”

Do I know wha… Do I know what fun is?! Ha! I was about to explode!

It was bedtime. The time of day that can’t come soon enough and that can wait forever. The baths, the brushing teeth, the diaper changes, the books, the songs, the begged for nightly drink - it’s all such a process that I wish could happen all on its own. Just once I beg you! There are some days where I am on the ball, feeling like an awesome mom, and bedtime seems to be sprinkled with magic and goes so smoothly.

Yeeeah...tonight was not that night.

I ended up just putting on a movie for Lucy and Todd in my room, while I laid on the floor in the family room with Annie, pushing toys and other things out of the way to make room for me. I wasn’t ready to face the bedtime beast. I wasn’t ready to face anything for that matter. No, Donald Duck! Stop looking at me! I don’t want to get up and put you away! Same with you, Buzz! Nor do I have the energy to get my kids to pick you up!

I found myself laying there for about 25 minutes, looking at Pinterest for the hundredth time, texting a friend, and just gearing myself up to get these kids to bed. I finally got up and moseyed on over to the bedroom. Those kids have been so good and so quiet that I’d hate to turn off their movie right now.

I walked through the doorway, and stopped right in my tracks...
Oh the horror! My once white bed sheets were now a colorful array of rainbow colors. The TV had been drawn all over the screen and the dresser had marks to match. The door was also a victim and there was a racing pinstripe all the way down the hall at about a toddler height. And I’m sure you already figured that both kids were completely covered in marker, both holding pieces of the evidence. And even better! They spilled a bottle of bubbles all over the floor to “skate” in!

“But Mooooom! We’re having fun! Don’t you know what fun is?”

Those little stinks! What was already going to be a mountain to conquer as it was, bedtime just got a million times more complicated. Dang it! I guess that’s what I get for prolonging the inevitable. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! Stay strong!! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! I can literally feel your pain at seeing that mess! I hope all that marker was washable :( We have learned (more than once) that you can get crayon off of a tv screen by carefully rubbing a microfiber cloth with a little water in it -maybe that will help with the marker as well? My new mantra for the last few weeks has been "I can do hard things" and I know you can too! Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one for the record books! I hope you took a picture :) I got marker off our coffee table with rubbing alcohol so that might work...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you never did this to us. Don't know wether to cry or laugh so do both. I love those beautiful children

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I know the messes and the long and drawn out bedtime process. My 2 year old gets out of her bed like 10 times and finally passes out sometime between 9:30 and 10 after we put her to bed at 8. Sorry you had such a bad night! The marker mess sounds just awful! I hope tonight is better. :-) It's nice to think each day you can start over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh snap! They did a thorough job! I don't have any advice for getting marker or pen or crayon off of anything, because I just gave up and decided that I will worry about having nice furniture...hmm...never?
    I'm just amazed that you normally do all those things as a bed time routine! You are WAY ahead of me ;)

    ReplyDelete