Monday, November 25, 2013

Birds Flying High, You Know How I Feel!

I am always entering dumb contests, and the odds are always stacked against me.
"Why not?!" I justify.
"One of these days I'm bound to win something!"
Then I heard on the radio that they were giving away Michael Buble tickets the week before he was coming to town. WHAT!?!?! I had to win. I was going to win. Of all the concerts I would ever want to go to, this would be it.
I have never called into a radio station before in my life, but that whole week I called three times a day at the cue to call because I was determined! I was even caller Number 2 twice! Ugh! So close! Friday came and I was down to two more chances to win. But the problem was that I had to take Todd to a doctor's appointment during one of the call times. (I'm embarrassed to say that I even called to try to change his appointment so that I wouldn't miss the "sounder" as they called it). Instead, I asked my mom, aunt, sister, and husband to all wait by the phone while I was at the doctor's office. (Why didn't I think of that sooner?! That would have quadrupled my chances from the beginning!) I left the office, anxiously rushing back to my car to load up the kids and to call my family to see if they had any luck. But the sounder hadn't gone off yet. Oh yay! Now I could join in.
But we waited...
And waited...
Alex was smart enough to get back to his school work, and my aunt and sister were also smart enough to not linger by the radio anymore. But me and my mom (who was in California) kept waiting. Too long I might add. I called the station a few times asking if they were going to do the sounder anytime soon. (Crazy lady with a Michael Buble concert on the brain right here!) Long story short, we were never caller number one. I was bummed, but oh well. Go figure. Just add this one to my list of contests I don't win. It would have been so fun to have this romantic evening with the love of my life! Some other time when we have $400 to fork over. (ha! Probably never! At least not for a loooong time!)
Well, the next morning I decided that I wasn't going to give up just yet. I knew they had at least a couple of tickets left because they never did do the 10:30 AM sounder. I figured I had nothing to lose. I emailed the radio station, giving them a little bit of our story- medical school, three kids, yada yada - and basically asked that if there happened to be any tickets left over if I could maybe be entered into some sort of raffle of drawing to win the tickets. Fingers crossed!!
The whole next week passed by. I hadn't heard anything back from the station. And I actually hadn't thought much of it. It was Thursday now, I was driving home from dropping off Lucy at preschool, listening to the radio, and I was thinking about how the concert was the next day and how much fun that would have been, again thinking "oh well". I got home and while feeding Annie some yummy green beans, I checked my email and I see this:

Good afternoon Shauna!

I got your message that you submitted on our My 92.9 website, please give me a call at your earliest convenience and let’s see if we can work something out for you and your husband.

Best,
Aly

I JUMPED up from my chair! What!? Oh my gosh!! I saw that the email had been sent only three minutes ago. Should I wait a little bit to call so I didn't look like some psycho? Nah...I just hurried and called!! Another long story short, she had me play a little game where I had to name three of the DJ's on the station. I named them with ease (I had only been listening to the radio religiously for the last forever), and I won!! Freak out central! I couldn't believe it!! I couldn't wait to tell Alex!! He basically was over the moon excited and even apologized for ever doubting me. :) This was all for you, Lovie! For us!

For the last long story short...we had an amazing, romantic, magical, dance-filled night!! Pinch me please!!




5 comments:

  1. I was just watching the videos you sent! Sooo beyond jealous!!! So happy for you too! One day... YOU AND I WILL go to a Michael Buble concert. Too many memories of us singing and dancing in the car to these songs! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! yay!!!! I win stuff on the raio all the time..so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lucky!! Way to persevere it was definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously?!!? That is so awesome... and yes, I'm uber jealous of you! Still, congrats -you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go for being persistent. This looks like a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete