Friday, March 7, 2014

Annie Stays in the Hospital

If one person gets sick, it's only a matter of time before it spreads to the rest of us. In this case, Lucy had gotten sick - fever, cough, cold, tummy ache - and after a few days, I took her in to the doc. She just basically needed to ride the wave until it was over. The doctor even warned that the other two kids will probably follow suit. So that night when Annie came down with the same symptoms, I did my best to treat them. But days went by and she didn't get any better and was actually getting worse. It was the weekend and I kept telling myself that come Monday I was going to take her in.
Sunday night was the worst. She could hardly breathe. She was floppy. She wouldn't eat or drink and she barely got a wink of shut-eye. I called the doctor's office first thing Monday, but she couldn't get in until late afternoon. I couldn't wait that long...I just knew she needed to get in right away! I took her tot he ER where they instantly started her on breathing treatments and ran several tests. They took some X-rays and before we knew it we were heading up to the fifth floor to stay the night.

My heart broke when the doctor told me they were going to admit her. I knew she would be perfectly okay and that she just needed proper treatment. I knew that we wouldn't be there long. But my heart still broke at the thought that my daughter was just so ill. My mind instantly thought about my family who have gone through much more difficult and extremely painful situations involving their children. Oh how my heart ached for them. Here I was experiencing the tiniest sliver of what they felt - the reality of having my child admitted to the hospital, and a feeling of helplessness and uncertainty. And even though Annie's condition wasn't all that serious, it was still serious enough to be admitted to the hospital. No matter the case, as a mother you only want the best for your children and that includes their health. I wanted Annie to be back to her normal happy, giggly self. I was anxious to get her started with the proper care and treatment, praying we wouldn't be there long. After a few pokes, she got her IV and was on her way to getting better. 
(She had RSV, pneumonia, a double ear infection, and was extremely dehydrated)

We have such wonderful friends who took Lucy and Todd for us overnight without a second thought so that I could stay with Anna and so that Alex could continue studying for a huge test coming up in a few days. Such life savers! The next day, my parents hopped in the car and drove the 7 hours to come to our aid. We are so extremely grateful to them as well for all of their help. My mom even stayed that second night in the hospital with Anna so that I could go home and get some sleep! And we are so appreciative of everyone thinking about her and praying for her. There truly is strength in numbers as we exercise our faith. 
I feel like i just gave an acceptance speech at the Oscars. But we are ever so grateful! 
Thank you! Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet sweet Annie! These pictures are so heart wrenching. I can just imagine you sitting beside her in her room wishing you could do more, but grateful she was getting the care she needed from the doctor. I so hope she has been improving since coming home. I want to call but so don't want to add any more stress. Love you, love that sweet angel and hope you all get a BIG break from being sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! The poor little bunny! I feel so bad for her! I'm so glad she's doing better and that everything is ok! No fun at all :(

    ReplyDelete