Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 11 - Watch

I watch very few television shows. When I finally do have a second to watch something, it is usually that week’s episode of Downton Abbey or Once Upon a Time. I look forward each night (if I don’t fall asleep by then) to watching The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon with my Love. We love laughing together while we are snuggled in bed, eating popcorn, and watching it on Alex’s iPad with our big cups of ice water handy.

I watch Todd build and create with his toys. I can’t help but see some of my brother’s impressive Lego skills manifest themselves through Todd’s Duplo creations. I love watching his little creative mind at work.

I watch the mailman drive past with a letter I’ve sealed and stamped. I anticipate it’s arrival.

I watch Lucy read and discover a whole new world of words. I love, love, LOVE receiving little letters from her (they’re my favorite!) She impresses me daily with her ability to absorb so much information around her. She makes sure to share that information as well.

I watch others. I watch the way they express gratitude, the way they handle stress, the way they parent their children, the way they speak. I watch and I learn.

I watch Annie explore food and dump it over the edge of her highchair. She’s pretty picky with what I put in front of her. Though for some odd reason, if that same food is on the floor, it is so much more appealing. 

I watch my kids fight and power struggle with each other. Sometimes I step in, sometimes I just watch.

I watch Alex leave for school each day, his backpack hanging heavy on his shoulders.

I watch my mother struggle with health issues and my heart aches for her. How I wish I could alleviate some of her pain! Maybe if I send more pictures of my kids, that would help :)

I watch my children through the kitchen window as they play together in the back yard. Lucy in her swimsuit just because she felt like it, Todd burying his toys in the dirt and excavating them, and Anna dirtying up her clean outfit as she crawls through the yard, trying to taste things along her way. My heart just bursts!

I watch myself learn and grow as I navigate my way through this young stage of motherhood, wondering some days if what I’m doing and how I’m teaching my kids is even working. Then I get a special letter from Lucy and I don’t wonder so much anymore. 



2 comments:

  1. I can't believe Lucy can already write out a note! And such a sweet one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you've done it again. Making daily life magical. I love your writing!

    ReplyDelete