Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Flowers, For Me?


I always think of high school in two categories: 1) my best friend, Hannah, and all of our ridiculous adventures together - most of them happening at the lunch table with Steven, and 2) crushing on Alex all four years.
Oh goodness.... did I ever crush on him bad! Any interaction with him made my stomach swirl and I would replay that brief moment in my head over and over - just wanting to relive it once more. There were bouts of jealousy when he was around other girls, along with feelings of "why not me?"... but I just kept on crushing on him and didn't let it bother me (too much). 
Since my best friend was Alex's sister, we all hung out together often. I will never forget this one time when we were driving around the mall together. Alex was driving, Hannah was in the front seat and I was in the back. (Maybe Steven was there too... but I can't remember). We came to a stop light and as if it was a knee-jerk reaction, Alex opened his door, reached for a flower, picked it and then handed it to me. The light turned green and he just started driving again. Wow... that was suave! On the outside, I was playing it cool. I smiled and gratefully accepted the little flower. But on the inside!! Oh man! My stomach dropped to my feet and my jaw was down to my chest! Who just does that?! It might as well have been a scene from a chick flick. 
It was really no effort on Alex's part, but it meant the world to me! I mean, here I am almost nine years later still swooning over that moment. 
Little did I know that nearly nine years later I would be calling that car mine and Alex would be bringing me home bouquets of flowers!  What a dream!

8 comments:

  1. Oh fun memories! He must get his romantic side from my dad. There were so many times my dad would pull into the driveway blasting is Frank Sinatra and bring my mom outside and they would dance in the driveway. I remember another time we were driving from California to Utah in the middle of the night and when the car stopped I woke up. I looked outside and saw my parents dancing while they were waiting for the long train to pass. I have some romantic men in my family, what can I say? You three made high school the best for me. It was MISERABLE when you all left! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you guys are freaking adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome! What fun that you guys grew up together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got caught up on all your past posts and I love your photo wall and the post about all the things that resemble you :) And Lucy falling asleep in the rocker was so funny!
    We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO WAY did you crush on your hubby all through high school?? HOW ADORABLE is that??? Seriously! Oh I love it! Oh...sigh...romance!

    ReplyDelete