Friday, January 24, 2014

31 Things

I've signed up to take a workshop with Ali Edwards called 31 Things where for the next 31 days I will be given a topic along with prompts to encourage writing regarding everyday things. I'm excited to see how this next month pushes me! I'm planning on posting my entries for the next 31 business days. Fun, right?! Want to join me in the workshop? You should! It's only $31 and registration ends on the 29th. Here is the WEBSITE
So here it goes!

Day 1: Jewelry
My Nana’s bedroom was the perfect room for snooping around in. She always had hidden treasures that any little girl would find valuable. From loose change and purses, to dolls and toys, there was guaranteed to be something to pique one’s interest. But somehow I’d find myself over in her jewelry. Just looking. I’d sometimes graze my fingers along the dangling necklaces and watch them sway until they stopped and silently dangled once more. She had bracelets and rings and earrings of all sorts strewn across her vanity. What could someone do with all that jewelry?!
Well, she knew what to do.
She was always well adorned. Beautiful and refined. You could hear her coming down the hall because of the bracelets that jingled on her wrists. They sang a magical tune which matched the bounce in her step. I especially loved when she’d wear her holiday jewelry. I wonder if she wore it just to appeal to us grandkids. Cause it worked.
My Nana passed away a few years ago and left many things for us to remember her by. Just recently, my mother brought home a large box of necklaces for us to go through and pick any pieces that we’d like to keep. I quickly jumped on the opportunity to go through them, wanting to find something that would speak to me and that would resemble my Nana. And I found it! Hidden behind a ton of gold chained necklaces was a quaint silver cuckoo clock. I instantly fell in love with it! What a treasure! It was as if it was left there for me to find one day. I’d like to imagine my Nana placing it in her jewelry box with a fleeting thought of maybe one day one of her granddaughters will have it.
Well, I now hold it dear to my heart. I wear it more often than not and I love that when I get compliments on it, I instantly tell them it belonged to my grandmother. It makes it all the more special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment