Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Day 3 - Read

One of my favorite jobs ever was when I worked at Barnes and Noble. The name itself sounds so studious. I loved coming to work in the mornings before there were any customers. The aroma of crisp pages and freshly bound books filled me with such joy! The books were all straightened on the shelves, patiently waiting to be cracked open. What adventures were going to be had that day? A sail across a tempest sea? A daring prince rescuing a princess? A first kiss? The possibilities were endless!
I often worked in the children’s department. Upon being hired, I requested that that be where I was scheduled the most. I loved seeing children get excited over favorite characters and discover new ones! I loved recommending my favorite books in hopes that others would come to love them too. I loved being in charge of story time where I could make a book come alive and see the captivated faces of my tiny audience.
Magic happens from the pages of a book. And it can happen at a very young age.
With a home of my own now, I have a lot of books. Books about parenting, relationships, and faith. Some adventure books, some romance books. Books that have never been read. I just like thelook of books. I like the way their presence makes me feel. 
I hope my children come to love books the way I do. If not, I’ll make them! More trips to the library! More bedtime stories! More, more, more! Reading is an important part of my life and reading to my children is essential. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this picture of you with the kiddos! I'm so glad my boys love to read too! I think it expands our minds in so many ways and teaches our children new concepts with every page. I never knew you worked for Barnes and Noble! I really should have had cooler jobs growing up... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true! What an ideal job, working at a book store! And I love that photo, it is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete