Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 5 - Conversation

I look forward to his phone call every morning. It’s become a ritual. He hurries off to school with the breakfast and lunch I’ve made for him, kisses us all goodbye, and before I know it we’ve hardly had a chance to say hello to each other. Which is why I make sure I’m available to answer the phone when he calls me in about twenty minutes. He has about a ten minute walk from his car to his morning class, and instead of listening to music, reviewing notes, or just having a quiet walk, he calls me. Sometimes we talk about important things, other times not so important. But who cares…we talk. For the most part, it’s a chance for us to tell each other “I love you” and to wish each other a good day, because I might not see or talk to him again until late. Though our conversation is brief, the act of him pulling out his phone to call me (me!) speaks so loudly. It’s little things like this that show me he loves me, that he cares about me, that he’s thinking about me even though his load is so heavy these days. 
I’ve asked him to never stop calling me, even when there’s nothing to say... I like hearing him whistle too.

No comments:

Post a Comment