Monday, October 15, 2012

Lunch Ideas for Work or School

I've been making Alex lunch for school every day since we got married. It's something that I really love doing for him....sending him off to school with a little care package of fruit snacks, granola bars and other survival essentials for the day. I have always made him two turkey/cheese/tomato sandwiches - until recently. 
Alex expressed to me that although very grateful, he just can't stomach another sandwich for a long time! I don't blame him at all. After 5 years of it, I'd be sick of it too.
That comment has sent me on a little hunt for ideas of what I could make for him in the mornings that won't take me long to make. And I must say, I've had a ton of fun doing it! Alex loves food and it makes me happy to see and hear his reactions to the different things I've packed for him. And what's great about making him a delicious lunch in the morning is that by the afternoon I don't need to figure out what I'm going eat for lunch! It's already done!

Before I list the few lunch ideas, I must mention these great Rubbermaid LunchBlox containers!


I have both the Sandwich kit and the Salad kit. These little containers are the perfect serving size and it's fun to figure out what you could put in each container. They stack perfectly and are made to fit in a lunch bag. They also come with an ice pack, so if you or the person you're making the lunch for doesn't have access to a fridge, the ice pack will keep everything cool until it's time to eat! I'm telling you...great investment! My grocery store had a buy one pack get one free... I couldn't pass it up!

#1 Seven Layer Bean Dip
(side note: I don't measure anything, so you'll have to estimate how much of the ingredient to use) :)
It's actually a six layer bean dip over here...we omit the olives. 
All you need is:
Re-fried beans
Sour cream
Avocado
Tomato 
Cheese
Green onions 

Super easy! Takes a second to cut things up and you layer the ingredients in the order they are listed. Pair with a bag of chips (of course!) and you're good to go!

#2 Chicken Salad Sandwich
There are tons of different ways and combinations to make a chicken salad sandwich, but this is our favorite!

Ingredients:
1 can of chicken
Mayo
1 pickle diced (we like the Zesty flavor! Amazing!)
1 green onion diced
1/2 cupish Craisins 
handful of sliced almonds
Garlic salt
Onion Powder
Paprika
Salt/Pepper
Mustard

Mix it all together. Assemble on sandwich and drizzle with mustard. The salad definitely tastes better if it's been refrigerated for a couple of hours. 

#3 Strawberry Spinach Salad
This is probably the fastest and easiest meal to make. 
All you need is:
Packaged baby spinach (ready to use)
4-5 Strawberries
Feta cheese
Sliced almonds.

Dice the strawberries then layer the salad. Pair with either poppyseed dressing or a raspberry balsamic vinaigrette and it's delicious! 

#4 Pita
One of the most frequented restaurants in Provo for us was The Pita Pit. We LOVED that place! A pita is a great change up from a sandwich. You could make any type of pita you wanted!

In this pita, I put a lot of different things:
Turkey
Salami
Feta Cheese
Lettuce 
Tomato
Red Onion
Pepperoncini's
Chipotle Mayo
Mustard
Sub Dressing (oil/vinegar)
Salt/Pepper


Sides/Snacks
Here are some ideas to pair your main dish with:
*Fruits - grapes, oranges, apples, plums, strawberries
*Hard boiled eggs
*Hummus and pita chips
*Beef Jerkey
*Raisins or Craisins
*Celery with peanut butter and raisins
*Carrots
*Chips and salsa or guacamole


Happy Lunch Making!! 

4 comments:

  1. Great ideas. I am always trying to figure out what to pack myself for work! I love the layer dip idea. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm extremely spoiled. I love you darling!!!! Thank you so much!!

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these ideas! And I totally need them. Robert used to take leftovers to lunch but since he's been in school it is hard to take re-heats. Also..CONGRATS on your soon to be new addition to your already adorable family! And I loved your post with the note you gave to Alex! I still have a huge box of notes from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You officially win the wife of the year award! Jeremy is definitely on his own for lunch and is pretty lucky if I pull dinner together before he gets home :)

    ReplyDelete